No matter how much research and comparisons are done, one can conclude that there is no such thing as a perfect car. Each has their own pros and cons and it really depends on the individual's needs, preference and priority.
In this post, I would like to share some of my thoughts and considerations in buying this MPV and to share some photos and features of the MPV. Hopefully it will bounce off some ideas for my friends who are also thinking about getting a MPV soon.
For me, some important considerations are:
1) Safety first - it should have at least 6 or more airbags to protect the family including curtain airbags for the 2nd row seats where the kids will be and with Euro NCAP maximum 5-star rating.
2) The 2nd row must have 3 individual seats - after fixing 2 child car seats, the remaining seat must be able to slide forward to allow passengers to access the 3rd row for our occasional outings with other family members.
3) The seating arrangement should preferably be 2 + 3 + 2 = 7 seats in total.
Other personal preferences are:
1) The gearbox should be at least 6-speed or more. DSG or Dual-Clutch will be a bonus.
2) Preferably the MPV design should not look like a big tissue box on 4 wheels :)
3) The ride and handling of the MPV should be spirited and exciting for the daddy to enjoy the drive rather than just a boring people carrier. Turbo engine is a plus..hee hee :)
4) Moonroof - the kids will love it.
Some of the C-segment and D-segment MPVs available in Malaysia that I like and considered are:
Peugeot 5008, Mazda 5, Citroen C4 Grand Picasso and Volkswagen Cross Touran.
Volkswagen Sharan, Ford S-Max and recond Estimas.
Finally, after much considerations, our choice was the "underdog" Ford S-Max. "Underdog" - because not many Malaysians prefer Ford due to their own personal reasons and priorities.
In Europe, Ford S-Max is one of the more popular MPVs and has won some awards such as:
Britain's Best MPV
BC Awards 2012
Auto 1 Of Europe Award
The current batch of S-Max imported by SDAC ( Ford Malaysia S-Max ) has the latest 2.0L Ecoboost Engine with 240PS Hp. This S-Max model was revamped and released in Europe in 2010. It made its way to Malaysia only in 2012.
Here are some photos of our new Ford S-Max!
Introducing the Ford S-Max
The S-Max was designed by Ford for the European market. It is assembled in Genk, Belgium and imported to Malaysia as a CBU car.
The S-Max is the first vehicle in Ford's line-up to feature their Kinetic Design styling. The Kinetic Design scheme includes angular headlights, twin trapezoidal grilles and large wheel arches. It is 4.8m in length with an aerodynamic profile.
Distinctive LED Rear Lights with the Ecoboost emblem. Exclusive to Ford, the award winning 2.0L Ecoboost engine with Turbocharger delivers 240PS of Power with 340Nm of Torque as well as reducing CO2 emissions and fuel consumption by 20%. The 240PS horsepower will put a smile on most daddies' faces.
Ford Ecoboost 2.0L Engine Award
Ford Powershift is a 6-speed Dual Clutch Automatic Transmission with a Manual Mode that allows you to switch gears at the flick of the lever.
Adaptive Auto Bi-Xenon Headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights and Headlamp Washer. It comes with the "Follow Me Home Lights" feature where the headlights stay on a little longer to illuminate the carpark or your front door for safety. It can be switched off as an option.
17-inch alloy wheel with 225/50 R17 Goodyear Excellence tyres made in Germany. It comes with a Safety Round Nut to prevent tyres theft.
Fixed Panaromic Moonroof
Twin Exhaust Pipes
The Puddle Light at the bottom of the side mirrors illuminate the sides of the car to prevent passengers from stepping on unseen hazards as they step out of the car
Power Engine Start/Stop Button with Keyless Entry
Ford Convers+ Colour Instrument Cluster Display with built-in connectivity for iPod, MP3 player and USB stick. It comes with Bluetooth connection to Smartphones with Voice Command.
Automatic Headlights with both Front and Rear Fog Lights
"Aircraft like" handbrake design
Air-con grille at B-Pillar for 2nd row passengers
Interior with brushed aluminium finish
Power Seat 8-way Adjust for both driver and front passenger with 4 Memory Position
Self-installed 9-inch HD DVD player to entertain the kids
Interior View of Steering and Dashboard.
1) Safety - 9 Airbags with 5-star Euro NCAP, with ESP, TCS, HLA, ABS, EBD, EBA and PATS.
2) Ford Fold Flat System that allows all the 5 rear seats to be folded flat when needed.
3) Sony Audio System with 9 premium speakers.
4) Other standard features such as Automatic Wiper System with Rain Sensor, Cruise Control, Capless Refueling, Electrochromatic Rear View Mirror, Auto Lowering of side mirror when reversing, ISOFIX for child seats and Power Child Lock.
5) 5-year warranty with 3 years free maintenance.
We hope this MPV will serve our family's needs for a long time! :)